Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience

Can local police come aboard an Amtrak train and based on

Customer Question

Can local police come aboard an Amtrak train and based on one Amtrak employee saying I was disorderly intoxicated have me put off the train in the middle of the road? No Breathalyzer test was done to assure the police I was not over the legal limit of alcohol.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, the police can if authorized by Amtrak. Your Amtrak ticket terms and conditions actually allows them to eject you from a train based on "objectionable behavior." It doesn't actually matter if you were drunk or not if you were behaving in a manner that an Amtrak employee deemed objectionable. Someone can be sober and disruptive and still be removed from the train. You agree to the Terms and Conditions of the ticket simply by using it and being on the train, so you basically agreed that you could have your passenger privileges revoked if anyone at Amtrak deemed your behavior objectionable. Many of the train employees are agents or representatives of the company, so they have the authority to make such decisions on behalf of the company, and they can call the police to assist. Sorry I can't give you better news.