Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Do I need a court order to force my 40 year old son to go to

Customer Question

do I need a court order to force my 40 year old son to go to hospital for detox? This person has been drunk with vodka for a couple of years but for the last 30 days, he has only taken in a liter in a day and half along with fruit punch? He has not eaten any solid foods. They make him ill and he has not left our house for 30 days since he lost a job due to intoxication on the job?
I am sure that he will not go for help unless he is forced to do so and I know that if I called for a law officer to take him that he would definitely not go. He is slowly committing suicide without nourishment, I think. Help please.
thank you
Bill
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel.

You can contact your local police and tell them you would like to have him involuntarily committed for alcoholism. They will then place him in a state hospital for a 96 hour evaluation. I suggest, if you view THIS LINK you can contact the The Access Crisis Intervention (ACI) Hotline for your county and they can fully direct you on how best to proceed in your and your son's best interest.

SO at this juncture you do not need a court order. Once there is an evaluation, the medical staff with contact you and they will move forward to get the order for an inpatient rehab if necessary.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this matter and I suggest you consider making that call today as the Hotline is available 24/7/365

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

The initial period is for up to 96 hours, excluding weekends and certain holidays. After the initial period, the person's treating physician and treatment team will decide if further detention, evaluation, and treatment are needed. If so, the treating psychiatrist and treatment team may initiate a court hearing for the appropriate time frame, 21 days, 90 days, or one year for mental health treatment and 30 or 90 days for alcohol or drug treatment.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.