Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

When an agent sets up a meeting with a person over a court

Customer Question

When an agent sets up a meeting with a person over a court case and keeps canceling. What does one do????
Expert:  NYFamilyAttorney replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

Can you explain what you mean by an agent -- what type of agent and why is the meeting being cancelled? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
these are FBI agents that took over my disbursement of a court case due to my lawyers going to prison for embezzelment and the fed . judge being to slow on giving me settlement money . they have set up several meetings in the last 3 months and not showing and not communicating a reason until several days have passed and they give us an excuse. this deals with a large sum of money and properties and i can not understand why they are not doing the job . they keep setting appts. for to get this finally done with. i lost my home in the last couple yrs. and heart attack and they know my financial situation is bad;. and they are holding papers and everything

Thank you for that information. I am so sorry about this! That is terrible for you. Are you able to hire another attorney? That would help move this case along. There is no reason for the agents to stall here and it's not helping you. I don't know what the case is about but regardless, if the case fails to proceed due to their failure to show up, it's not going to help you.

This case in Federal Court is difficult for you to proceed without a lawyer. In Federal Court, most cases have lawyers representing the parties. You would be well-advised to get another lawyer to finish the case for you. The agents are not going forward with this case and this could go on until the judge either dismisses the case or gives them a time limit to proceed. The case could go to trial, if it hasn't already, if there is no settlement.

Your best bet is to bring another attorney on board to help finish this case. Are you able to get money back from the first lawyers? You can file a request with the state bar to have monies refunded to you from the first law firm and file a complaint with the state bar, asking for your money back. Most states have client victim funds where clients in the state are often reimbursed for a disbarred attorney's wrongdoing. If you can get some money back from their wrongdoing, that would help you hire another lawyer.

You are not represented, from what you seem to indicate, and if that is the case, you need an attorney to help you move this case along and so that settlement talks continue. You don't want the case dismissed because they failed to go forward or failed to show up. You also don't want this case to go to trial when you're trying to settle. An attorney will be able to push a settlement faster than someone who is not represented. The agents know this and could be taking advantage of the fact that you don't have a lawyer.

Does this answer your question?

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It seems like the previous contributor has opted out and is not working with you any longer. Did you have any further questions for us about this matter?