CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My fiance's Bank released information to somebody over the

Customer Question

My fiance's Bank released information to somebody over the phone without his consent or permission after him telling the person that they could not do it without his permission and then the bank openly admitted that the person that called lied to get the information. Is this a breach of confidentiality and is there anything he can do about it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has a recording talking to the bank manager and her telling him about the phone conversation
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

If the person that called lied to get that information, there is little the bank can do to prevent that - their obligation is to take appropriate steps to protect information, but they are not responsible to prevent others from lying.

This does appear to be an issue of "identity theft" and your fiance should take appropriate measures to protect himself. This would include instructing the bank to put additional security measures in place for his account to prevent this type of intrusion in the future.

See: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft