Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My son's mother and I are arguing about summer vacation

Customer Question

My son's mother and I are arguing about summer vacation time. I'm my order it reads.begining in the year 2014, during the child's summer break from school, each parent shall be entitled to three weeks of summer vacation with the child, uninterrupted by the other parties regular parenting times. Each parent shall give the other parent no less than thirty days advance notice of the three weeks he or she shall desires to exercise the vacation time with the child, with the party first providing notice having priority dates for the vacation time, and the other parent having three weeks around the first noticed dates. The summer vacation time shall not interfere with either parents holidays (memorial day and labor day), or with mothers day or father's day weekend... So I gave advanced notice of my dates which I split up instead of in a row. She says I am not allowed to split the weeks up. The way I read it it does not say that i can not. Am I right
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. Yes, you are correct. It does not mean 3 weeks consecutive. It would say 3 consecutive weeks if that is what it was. Additionally, because the vacation weeks "...shall not interfere with either parents holidays (memorial day and labor day), or with mothers day or father's day weekend," it is clear that the 3 weeks of vacation can be intermittent.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

You can see by this LINK that the vacation can be split as it accommodates the child schedules and still keeping compliance with the Court Order. The Order would specify "Consecutive" weeks if that was the case. She can bring it back to the judge for clarification if she wants.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.