CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top

Customer Question

JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Im on mt mobile. Device
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have a question
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Jackson a Jacksr in Pennsylvania, shipped a truckload of peaches from his orchard to mels fruit inc in la using a independent. Trucking company. While attempting to make a store delivery the truck ran into some mechanical problems. Peaches went bad. The term of the contract was agreed upon were F.O.B
JA: The ins and outs of corporate law can be complex, but getting the right information now can save you headaches in the long run. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: CALIFORNIA
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: THE PEACHES WENT BAD
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

This issue requires an interpretation of UCC Section 2-509, which generally places the risk of loss on the buyer once the seller delivers the goods to a carrier.

However, the terms of your contract are going to be controlling over the UCC provisions, so if the F.O.B. provision says that the goods are "F.O.B. at Destination" then the seller carries the risk of loss all the way to the destination, and is liable for the loss incurred in transit.

On the other hand, if it is "F.O.B. at Shipment" the seller was only responsible for delivering the fruit to the carrier and once they did so, the buyer assumed all risk of loss (just as in the UCC provision).

In both cases, the common carrier is going to be responsible for the loss, it is only a matter of which party is going to be forced to pursue the carrier for the loss (the seller or the buyer).