Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

My mom is in an assisted living facility with dementia and I

Customer Question

My mom is in an assisted living facility with dementia and I am her medical durable power of attorney. Do I have any rights to ask them to give her medication like tylenol that is prescribed as needed. They have told me that I cannot request medication for her. She will often ask me but not them when she is in pain.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, generally, once an elderly person is place in an assisted living facility, the next of kin who has medical POA would not have any input when it comes to administering any drugs, even if the drugs were prescribed on as needed basis by a medical doctor, as it would be up to the Assisted Living Facility medical staff to determine when such medication should be given, based on their training and observation of the resident's condition.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.