Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am 72 yrs retired US citizen. I receive SS benefits &

Customer Question

I am 72 yrs retired US citizen. I receive SS benefits & medicare. I pay taxes on time & works as a consultant & pays taxes. We file seperate individual taxes.
I posses foreign nationality (added to my US). My wife & children are all US citizens & married to foreign spouses & all their children are foreign. All my children & their families reside in that foreign country.
The law in that foreign country does not allow duel nationality.
Lately, the foreign country refused to renew my foreign passport because I have dual nationality (against the law in that country).
They informed me unless I renounce my US citizenship, I will be subjected to deportation, loss of my their foreign citizenship & that will deprive me from living & visiting their country (& of course visiting my children, grandchildren & my family).
My Question is: To avoid auditing by the IRS, I need to know the most guaranteed excuse or excuses for me to renounce my US citizenship & accepted by the IRS (to avoid auditing)
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an "excuse" when it comes to renunciation of the US citizenship and such renunciations are reported to IRS and in most cases IRS will audit the person who had renounced his/her US citizenship, so there is no way to avoid an IRS audit.

Also, it is important to understand that once person renounced his/her US citizenship, such person will not be able to legally re-enter the US or in most cases obtain a visa to enter the US and would loss most benefits, such as Social Security and Medicare.

You can read more about at this official US government website about the renunciation process:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/renunciation-of-citizenship.html

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Thank you.