legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

Is there anyone who can answer or recommend someone about

Customer Question

Is there anyone who can answer for me or recommend someone about trying to gain employment with a law enforcement agency? Three years ago I was cited not arrested for possession of marijuana under 20grams. The case was nolle prossed. I am in the process of getting this expunged off my records. This was a one time incident my record is clear other than this. I really want to essentially apply to be a corrections officer and am very unclear as to whether my situation will disqualify me or will it be considered based on moral character. I just found out the even with the sealing of the records that any government job will have access so hence my question about be disqualified. I reside in the state of Florida.
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

That term refers to "unwilling to prosecute" - ie dismissed, dropped.

The agency is generally more involved with crimes involving moral turpitude (ie theft, fraud) than with other crimes. They have an eliminator that will review the application and the background check to determine if the person will be a good fit. The more time that passes between the arrest and the application (with no further incidents) the higher likilihood of acceptance.

These are the automatic disqualifications - notice it says conviction, not arrest:

No felony convictions
• No misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude
• No marijuana use in the last three years
• No other illegal controlled substance use or prescription drug abuse in the past seven years
• Never sold, delivered, grown, or manufactured any controlled substance
• Must not have pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or have been convicted of “Fleeing” or “Attempting to Elude” a police officer as defined in Florida State Statute
• Must not have pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or have been convicted of “Driving under the Influence,” as defined in Florida State Statute within the past seven years
• Must not have accumulated more than 12 points on a driver's license within the past 18 months, or have a driving record that demonstrates repeated offenses or flagrant disregard for traffic laws
• No tattoos on face, neck or past the fold of the elbow

An expungement removes the charge from public viewing, but not from law enforcement.

More information here

and here:

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!

Hopefully this all worked out for you.

Thank you for using JA.