Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If a wife owes restitution to the federal government and a

Customer Question

if a wife owes restitution to the federal government and a property is under both names( husband and wife), if the property is sold, can the federal government put a lean on the whole property
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your lawyer is right if you don't do anything but you certainly have the right to contest it at a trial. The lien is filed against the whole property because our wife holds an "undivided interest" in the property. However, you certainly have an argument that it is a "taking without due process" for them to grab your share.

The problem you hit is that the attorney's fees are not trivial if it actually goes to trial. However, I think that if you go and hire a good trial lawyer that practices in federal court then there is a very reasonable chance that you can get the matter resolved very early in the process.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PROMPT ATTENTION TO THE MATTER. MARY

You are very welcome.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.