LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My previous boyfriend and business partner split up. He

Customer Question

Good Day:
My previous boyfriend and business partner split up. He lived with various people and in the restaurant we had owned. His dogs stayed with me since he did not have a place for them. I paid for their shots and food and what they needed. the business closed in September 2015 and I had to file bankruptcy. My landlord told me he saw him about a month after the business closed. I had no contact with him after the business closed. He had not contacted me about the dogs. Last night I got served small claims court for*****cost and the dogs.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Does the complaint state why he thinks that you owe him $1500?

2. Has he previously either asked for the dos to be returned or for the payment of $1500?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will not be able to call. I have the court document wher2 I got served. He never mentioned any money to me. He asked for the dogs in September the last time 7 month ago. I told him he can have them if he reimburses me what I paid for shots and food. He cursed me and I never heard anything,else
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Alright, I understand now.

As he was the one who asked you to care for his animals, you had every right to ask him to cover the expenses including food a veterinary care. So, he will succeed in getting his animals back. I see no basis for his asking for the money and I don't expect the court to grant him any money but rather just the return of the dogs.

What you will want to do is to counter sue him in small claims court and ask the court to award you all costs of food and medical care that you expended for the animals during the time that you have cared for them at his request. I would expect the court to award you that money in a money judgment. You will need to bring in some proof of what you have spent so be sure to get receipts from the vet that you took them to for the shots. You can estimate the cost of the pet food.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dogs are muds I am suffering financially from bankruptcy he went Scott free, I don't have the money for court, he has no papers on them, he never contacted me after 7 months, I love the dogs, seems like the law is not on the side of the good citizen
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I need an attorney to represent me
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

You do not need a lawyer for this small claims court case and as I said, I don't see the court ordering you to pay him damages. I do see them requiring you to return the animals to him.

It costs you nothing to answer the lawsuit and defend yourself. And if you want to counter-sue for the cost of the food and vet care you have paid for, you will pay only a $53 filing fee for the counter-suit. It is not an expensive process you are facing and will not take up that much of your time.

I understand that you love these animals and that you are a good dog-mom to them. However, the fact remains that they are the legal property of your ex and they will have to be returned to him unless you can somehow prove that he gave them to you as a gift, and not simply so you could take care of the dogs for him for a period of time.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, my offer is still open to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any further questions?

Doug