CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

Can I re a Texas lawyer of state problems. I have bad checks

Customer Question

Can I hire a Texas lawyer for out of state problems. I have bad checks in Oklahoma and Arkansas and I want to clear them.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

A Texas licensed attorney can assist you with negotiating out of state debts (such as bad checks), however unless the attorney is actually licensed in the other states (Oklahoma and Arkansas), they cannot appear in court as your representative.

(there is a narrow exception allowing an attorney to petition to appear in another jurisdiction, but this is far too complex a process for a bad check case - it is used in very complex matters, most often when a large company wants their corporate counsel to represent them in another state).

It is not uncommon for attorneys to hold multiple bar licenses (so you may find a TX attorney that is licensed in one or both of these other states), but if all you need is a lawyer to contact these creditors and negotiate a settlement on your behalf, a TX attorney can do that for you.

You can find attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.