LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

A few years ago i gave $18,000.00 worth of jewelry. When I

Customer Question

A few years ago i gave Joe $18,000.00 worth of jewelry. When I tried to collect the agreed upon monetary settlement that was done verbally by calling the cellphone provided by the said party, I got no answer. He also gave me his office number which I called & spoke to the said person & got no where. Then the office's employees called my son & threatened to kill both of us numerous times (which my son had nothing to do with this). My son has tapes of these recordings. I do not want to go after them criminally, but can I sue them civilly?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Good evening. What was the agreement with Joe? You shared that you have him $18,000 worth of jewelry but what was the settlement and what did he owe you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, There was a $12,000 balance, this was done on a handshake deal, so idk if its a he said she said kinda thing. I'm trying to find out wether or not i can sue civily for that reason, or for the threats to my sons life , which made him a nervous wreck. The threats are on tape. Also i live in NY and his office in which the threats came from is in N J. Idk if there's different laws. Thanks for your reply

Great to hear back from you. Yes, if money is owed, you can file suit. It is a civil matter and even though there was nothing in writing, there was a verbal agreement. It would be your word against theirs if they contest it but you can also introduce any evidence which you may have to show and support the money owed. Now, as far as the threats, that is a criminal matter. The tapes can be turned over to the police and a statement can be made by your son and the police can investigate if you want. Often times, if criminal charges are brought, this person may be willing to pay what is owed.

If he lives in NJ and the threats were made there, you can start in NJ and contact the police in the county/city where he resides.