Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I just became ordained as a minister with Open Ministry and

Customer Question

I just became ordained as a minister with Open Ministry and spoke with my county which has no requirements or licensing requirements with them to perform marriages, but I need to make sure the marriage will be legal. I livee in the State of New York but not New York City.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No, I just need to know if I have to file my credentials anywhere else, with the state.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under NY Domestic Relations Article 3, Section 11, "The term "clergyman" and the term "minister" include a duly authorized pastor, rector, priest, rabbi, and a person having authority from, or in accordance with, the rules and regulations of the governing ecclesiastical body of the denomination or order, if any, to which the church belongs, or otherwise from the church or synagogue to preside over and direct the spiritual affairs of the church or synagogue." So, as you are duly authorized with your church, you need to contact your county and if they have no registration requirements then you can perform a valid marriage and sign the marriage license as officiant and file it back with the county when completed.
You do not file your credentials with anyplace else in the state only at the county level if the county asks for it.