Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I did a friend's taxes last year and this year had refund

Customer Question

I did a friend's taxes last year and this year had refund sent to my netspend card both times this time I was homeless and before I could get the money sent to her my wallet was stolen by roommates boyfriend I took charges out on him but my friends t ax return is gone she says I'm in trouble am I and what can I do
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

If this person knowingly allowed you to receive their tax return and cash it in anticipation of you giving your friend the proceeds, then you are likely not in trouble unless your friend can prove you either knew or should have known that this money would be stolen by this person.

In essence, this friend would have to show you had a duty, you breached that duty, this breach caused injury and they would have to prove the damages. In order to show a duty, the person would have to show you should have known that this money would be stolen, or there would be a high likelihood.

She really needs to file suit against the person that stole the money and use you as her witness to help win the case. That would be her best legal option at the moment.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE stars) so I can receive credit for my work by the site.

Best wishes!

Did you have any other questions or concerns?

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward.