Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I am applying passport first time. I am 64 years old. When I

Customer Question

I am applying for a passport for the first time. I am 64 years old. When I was 5yo I was adopted. When I was 18yo I wanted to take my birth father's name. I couldn't afford a legal name change at the time and was told that I could use my birth father's name as long as I listed my adopted name as an alias - which I have done throughout my life. I sent for my birth certificate as a requirement for my passport and my adopted name is ***** ***** Both parents are deceased so I can't get a notarized letter from them. What should I do to make the Dept. of State know that I am the same person on my driver's license that I am on my birth certificate? Thank you so much, any insight will be most appreciated.
Murray *************
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Murray. Please tell me - what does your SSN card say? Is it under your birth last name or your informally adopted last name?

Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!