Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Does one have to be a US resident in addition to being a US

Customer Question

Does one have to be a US resident in addition to being a US citizen to get part A medicare? I do not have enough working credits for free medicare, but am willing to pay.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you do not qualify for Social Security, railroad retirement benefits or disability benefits (which means you would not qualify for free medicare), you can qualify to buy Part A (and Part B) if you are a current US resident and either a US citizen or a permanent US resident having lived in the US for 5 continuous years before you apply for Medicare. If you are not a citizen or not a permanent resident, you would not be able to qualify even to pay for medicare benefits.