Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I served on a local public school district's board of

Customer Question

I served on a local public school district's board of directors and attempted to end the corruption in our community. A frivolous Ethics Complaint was filed against me in 2010 for which I was cleared. A frivolous Harassment Charge was filed against me in 2011 for which I was cleared. In 2010 and 2011 the school solicitor recommended the school district reimburse my legal fees and I received those reimbursements. In June of 2015, that same solicitor filed an Ethics Violation Claim with the State Ethics Commission for which I am defending against the allegations. I have accumulated over $30,000 in legal fees defending myself over a $2,300 reimbursement. These charges against me are frivolous and are in retaliation for my attempts to stop the corruption in my school. Do I have a right to a claim against the district and those hurting my family and me?
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You can certainly sue the board here if you have too for your legal fees and court costs. You may want to discuss such a suit with your lawyer.If you are exonerated here you have that right to send demand letter for all of this and then sue if unresolved.

You may also want to sue the solicitor personally here claiming they are vindictive and acting outside scope of their employment and go after him personally rather than as an employee.Again I would discuss this with your lawyer to see if thats possible here as well.

Overall I think you may well be able to sue here, the question is who all do you sue and what capacity.You can sue the solicitor personally as I set out above, the district, and anyone else involved as well.

I hope you will talk this over with your lawyer and decide if you do want to pursue this matter.You have rights here too , to do so.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.