TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

My name was changed by the Knox County TX clerks office 2

Customer Question

My name was changed by the Knox County TX clerks office 2 months after I was born. I received the copy of my birth certificate from the county clerk. I thought that was my original birth certificate but come to find out my name, my parents name were completely changed. My name that I was used for 66 years is Pablo A Zavala. ON the amended certificate it is now Pablo Fred Rios. The Rios is my mom's maiden name is***** the Birth Certificate the State of Texas has on file for me my fathers name is***** and my mothers name is***** have no idea where no clue where that name came from. I have served in the US military for 23 years and retired Honorably and am a disabled veteran. I have also retired from the Department of Treasury. I need help
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to change my name back to what I have used my entire life. The state vital statistics keeps telling me that I have to have a court ordered name change and that I have to pay $248.00 in order to have that accomplished. I don't think I should have to pay for that since my name requested a name chane
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry I meant to say since my family never requested a name change. I was told by the county records office that it appeared someone went into my records in January 1950 and made these changes and that what was submitted to the state
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.

I understand your point of view. Unfortunately, I don't know of any legal way to force vital records to change your name back to what you've used your entire life. In fact, while unfair, the payment of $248 is a relatively inexpensive way to get this straightened out. Legal actions can often cost thousands of dollars. it would cost you more to sue the county to get this figured out than the $248 ... unless you can find an attorney to handle it pro bono (i.e., for free).

To that end, you may be able to get help from the Legal Aid office nearest Knox County Texas:

I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!