MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

My wife and I dealing with a crazy x-landlord/roommate : Not

Customer Question

Hi pearl, my name is***** and my wife and I dealing with a crazy x-landlord/roommate
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. Was just looking up advice
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We never ever had a signed lease. He was a family friend who bought a home that he planned to move into after 5 years. He rented to us all on trust- everything went fine the last 3.5 years. Than 2 and a half months ago he called and said he was moving back and needed the house may 21st. We obviously obliged and moved out- even though we thought we had 2 more years as well as he promised that when the time came, he'd give us 6-12 months notice- which he did not
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Now that we have moved out- he has been threatening us saying their is damage to his home. Which is not true- we loved that home and took great care
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The landlord cannot sue you for damages if there was not a written lease in place.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm just wondering if he can really sue us for these "phantom" damages? He has not told us what they are, yet.

He cannot. He will need to show the actual damages to the property.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we have no written lease. Just an agreement on monthly price. Since their is no lease, he can not sue for damages or other claims?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help! He has been threatening and intimidating

No worries. It's my pleasure.

Please don't forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we ar in Colorado. He has called and emailed and said their have been pipes leaking go months we never told him about. Which isn't true bc our belongings would have been ruined and we never wanted to hurt his house. And claiming the floor stinks and he has to rip it up.. We are 34 yr old professionals- not college kids having parties. I just don't want to get in trouble with the law. I've never been in a situation like this and we are worried
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will def rate!! You are a HUGE help!

I understand. He doesn't seem to have valid grounds to attempt to come after you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One last thing. If there is something damaged- but something internal like a leak, can he sue and blame us. Or would he have had to prove it while we were there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's weird he's acting like this. For 2.5 years we paid monthly rent. No problems. Never signed a lease or any forms. Not even via-email. It was trust bc we paid. I'm just afraid he wants to re-do some things in his house and pin some damages on us so it will pay for his upcoming fees.
Thank you- I'll do the rating right now

He would have to prove it occurred while you were there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can u send me the link to rate you, again? Is there anywhere that I can leave good comments on your help?
Do u have any advice? Do I need to get a lawyer in the mean time? Or am I ok since he doesn't have a lease with signatures.
Thanks again! Have a great day!

Yes absolutely.

I would wait to see if he files a lawsuit first before spending the money on an attorney.