Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have $12,000 unclaimed stock that went to the State of

Customer Question

I have $12,000 unclaimed stock that went to the State of Massachusetts. It went to them in October of 2015 and has not been posted yet, I am unable to secure it because I can't place a claim until it is posted. I have called the state treasurer office repeatedly and they are unwilling to help. They just tell me to wait. I shouldn't have to wait this long to get my property. Do I have any options? I have contacted them repeatedly. State agencies just don't seem to care ! The stock was sent to them from ComputerShare.
Thank you,
Mark Feldman
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The MA treasurer is the only one who can release the shares once they have been surrendered to them. If the state treasurer is not replying to you, they have had ample time to record the funds if they were indeed sent to them in October 2015, since it is only (according to them) supposed to take them 3 months to record the unclaimed funds and publish them for release. If you cannot speak to the MA Treasurer directly, then the next place is the governor's office. Send a letter to both. If you get no response, your final recourse is you can sue them for "replevin" which is the common law tort for return of your property.
I am afraid that is the only process you can use to recover the funds once they are turned over to the Commonwealth.