FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, licensed for 36 years as a trial and appellate attorney
89910983

I have a roommate he harassing me by texting( if you not

Customer Question

Good evening.
I have a roommate he harassing me by texting( if you not move out at the apartment I gonna call the police and tell to them what neglect you did to your kids, and if your not move out now I gonna pack your things put out of apartment, and evict you see you at the court) but I'm at the contract of the apartment me with my 2 kids, my roommate with the girlfriend, son and mother in law the rest is not at the contract ( father in law, 2 kids, brother in law with girlfriend) only 7 person in a contract. But we are 13 at the apartment. In case my kids about, I don't have a problem I just work only coz I'm a single mom. And my kids stay at the apartment with the older. Do I have a problem for that if I'm work and my kids stay at the apartment or room (with them or older). But before I go to my work I buy a food or cook for my kids.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I look forward to helping you today.

This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Question: How old are your kids? Are you asking if the kids can stay with the oldest one watching the little ones?

If your roommate is not on the lease, you can have him evicted. Your landlord can get you in trouble if you have too many people in the apartment, so I suggest you get the roommate out. But first, how old are the kids?

You can leave your kids with an older child if the child is at least 11 years old. That is okay in California.

Don't let your roommate harass you! YOu can tell him that you're going to take him to criminal court for harassment and to landlord-tenant court for eviction.

Now you need to tell him to stop harassing you or you will talk to the DA at the criminal court.

You also need to get him out of your apartment for many reasons -- the landlord can have YOU evicted because you have too many people in the apartment. If the apartment lease is in your name, then you are violating the lease and you have to evict him. Ask him to leave. If he will not leave, you must serve him notice to leave. You will want help from a landlord-tenant attorney. Don't discuss this with the landlord -- just do this on your own. Ask the roommate and his family to leave. If they don't leave you must evict them through the courts.

Does this answer your question? I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges).

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!