Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Can my gun ownership rights be restored after 42 years not

Customer Question

Can my gun ownership rights be restored after 42 years not knowing I had a felony on my record. only found out recently when I went to purchase a firearm.
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in? Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: louisiana and no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: It was due to violation 18 usc 1001 for flase statements. I was only 24 at the time now I'm 69 and haven't had any problem since then in 45 years now. I've voted, own Bars, Hunting and fishing licenses, been a gun collector, held employment with major oil company. But it was just recent it flag up at a gun store that Ive purchase from for years
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: All this time I thought it was only a misdemeanor I had on my record all these years. Really my life has gone on normal till this flagged up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Louisiana will restore firearms rights 10 years after the completion of a sentence, assuming the offender hasn't had another felony conviction in that time. That's the good news.

Unfortunately, however, the bad news is that the Federal government also took away your Federal rights with your felony conviction. And without your Federal gun rights even after 40 years, your state gun rights are meaningless.

Louisiana, as I have indicated, will restore your gun rights after ten years and some of your rights after your sentence has been served, but they won't automatically restore ALL of your civil rights, and that is what the Federal government will require before they lift their bar against your Federal gun rights.

Your right to sit on a jury in Louisiana, for example, requires a pardon from your governor. That means to get all of your rights back and your Federal 2nd amendment rights restored, you will need a pardon from the governor of Louisiana.

Without a pardon, even though Louisiana has given you back your gun rights, you could still be arrested by the Federal government for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Here is the Louisiana Pardon application. No lawyer is needed for a pardon, but there are lawyers who specialize in pardons, expungements and the restoration of rights, and you may want to consult with one.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have over the 45 have served on Pettit and grand juries and also voted on federal and state elections through all these years never affected my employment I'm also Vietnam vet with Agent Orange loss of hearing glaucoma and so on. It's not that I want to buy a gun but I just want my slate clean so to speak
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

The way to wipe the slate clean is via a pardon. Louisiana restores most civil rights automatically but they do not restore all of them.