Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My ex-partner and I purchased a puppy a few months ago and

Customer Question

My ex-partner and I purchased a puppy a few months ago and although he made the full payment on pup I've been responsible for talking to breeder, arranging a pick up time, feelings, vet visit and purchased his food, toys, wipes, supplements, etc. We are both listed on the puppy contract. If I wanted to seek full legal custody do I have a case? The reason we broke up is because I wanted to follow breeder and vet recommendations to keep 10 week old puppy indoors and with the least exposure to other people and dogs until all rounds of vaccinations at around 20 weeks. My ex on the other hand wants to parade him around town and take him on the boat, etc. Although I have repeatedly and explicitly explained to him the idea of keeping him apart is to "minimize risk" of contracting a disease he feels this is an "over the top" approach and has even said, "if he gets sick, I'll pay for hospital bill." It was hard for me to watch him totally disregard professional and medical recommendations and I told him "I was over it." He has assumed the puppy will stay with him but I know I am better suited to look after pup.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If both names are ***** ***** contract, you are considered co-owners of the dog. If you are disagreeing about what to do with the property that you are co-owners of, you would be able to go to court to resolve the dispute. The problem is you are co-owners and the court will have to likely impose some type of custody agreement no different than a child, to allow shared times with the dog and it is not likely that the court will simply allow you to take sole custody of the dog based only on the conduct you describe, you would have to prove he is somehow mistreating the dog and harming it more than just taking it out contrary to the vet's recommendations. If you can show the harm he is causing to the dog, then you could get a court to take the dog away from him.