Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have a question about the marriage of Melford Saulsbury

Customer Question

I have a question about the marriage of Russell Melford Saulsbury and Hilda Mae Bordley. Russell Saulsbury marries Hilda Bordley, even though he has a living wife. His family and my mother's family use to worship together, while living in Queen Anne's County, Maryland. After the death Hilda Bordley's mother, her dad directs he to live with two brother and their family. This happens every other year. This continues until ***** *****, the oldest sister, dies. Russell Saulsbury learns about the where abouts of Hilda Bordley. During this times he has to be living in Camden, New Jersey. John Henry Bordley advises Hilda to live with some relatives in Camden, New Jersey.
Living in Camden, New Jersey is Russell Melford Saulsbury. Before he comes to Camden, New Jersey, on March 4, 1922, Rev. C. W. Moore joins Rebecca H. Gould and Russel M. Salisbury. What causes him to meet my mother is unknown. What causes the break up between his first wife is not known.
Russell Melford Saulsbury marries, my mother, Hilda Mae Bordley, on January 14, 1934. On February 1, 1934 John Henry Bordley dies due to an abscess of left lung, due to an auto accident. In 1948 Hilda Saulsbury gives birth to a daughter me. Sometime before my birth he meets Edith Cooper. From this association he has a daughter named Helen.
Word reaches a couple, whose first and last names, are Bobbie and Bernice Washington. How they found out Russell Saulsbury has a living wife is not known to me. Somehow Bernice Washington gets her hands on me while my dad's other daughter comes in the house. Bernice Washington tosses me in the air, as soon as my mother trips reaching for me. While my mother reaches for me and says my child, a force threatens my dad to beat my mother. She holds me until someone breaks up the beating.
Hilda Saulsbury goes to a lawyer and the marriage becomes annulled.
I look in the past of Russell Melford Saulsbury and there no records of the first and second marriage or the annulment of the second. There is no journal or written explanation of his choice in his decisions, to my knowledge.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question about this situation? Where have you gone to look for marriage records and annulment records?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have marriage records and annulment in with me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wanted to know why my dad never left the first marriage altogether.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, that is a question that is asking us for much speculation as we have no idea why a person does or does not do something. I can tell you that legally if he never divorced the first spouse then the second marriage was not valid, which is why there was an annulment, but we have no way of knowing what your dad's intentions were or why he never divorced his first spouse, that would be a huge guess on anyone's part at this point except perhaps his first spouse who could shed light on the matter if she is still alive. We would have no idea how to answer this for you other than to tell you some of the common reasons why people engage in a second marriage without divorcing the first spouse.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for you answers and response.

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry that we simply do not know anything about your dad to give you more information though.