Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My house was foreclosed through strict foreclosure, law day

Customer Question

My house was foreclosed through strict foreclosure, law day was passed, I filed open and vacate judgment, the motion is denied.
Can I file appeal against the denial of the open and vacate judgment? If yes, why? If no, why?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to file any appeal, you need to have legal grounds for doing so. You can file to appeal the denial of your motion to open and vacate judgment only if you have legal cause for doing so. That means you need a statute or some case law and evidence to support your contention as to why the foreclosure should be reopened and vacated and why the lower court was wrong in denying your motion to do so.

Under CT law, the law day is the statutory last day you can seek to vacate a foreclosure and the only way around that is proving some type of fraud or that process was not properly followed and you perhaps never received notice of law day or some other good cause why the foreclosure was not objected to prior to the law day.