Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

We live in a neighborhood that has become a battleground. My

Customer Question

We live in a neighborhood that has become a battleground. My fiancé and the neighbor (who used to be on friendly terms) are now in this battle that I'm not sure what to do. the neighbor "stalks" my fiancé and follows him to work almost everyday. He purposely stops in front of the houses that my fiancé is working in, and has been know to wave and stop in front of the houses that are rental properties. The tenants in the house (college students) are complaining to the landlord and she has hinted about not using his services anymore. We have called the police numerous times have video and photographic evidence of these visits and also of the following. The police do not seem to be doing anything about this situation. The straw for me that broke the camels back was my 13 year old daughter being followed up the street by this neighbor in his car when she was walking the dog at 7:50am a couple of weeks ago. I went to the police department and the officer was sympathetic (most of them have been) and took our complaint. He also mentioned the more than 15 other complaints involving this man that have been made in the last year. He (the officer) said that he would be calling the neighbor and telling him to stop. My question is how do we stop this?? This has been over 3 years of this kind of activity and to say the least it is disrupting our entire life. Please help.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

What started this "battle" / feud?

Did the neighbor make any physical threat, caused any physical harm or approached and harassed anyone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My fiances x wife was friends with the neighbor and he had encouraged her to have extramarital affairs and was angry when my fiancé kicked her out of the house. This all happened 1 year prior to my meeting my fiancé. There has only been him following my daughter and she was very freaked out by the whole thing. He sits on his front porch pointing at our house and cackling like a lunatic. I have been dating my fiancé for almost four years and have never even spoken to the man. The police officer told me that because he goes right up to the line of harassment but does not cross it their hands are tied. This is driving us all crazy. Please help

Thank you for your follow up.

I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not helpful. forget it I want my money back
****** *******
Expert:  NYFamilyAttorney replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed New York attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

Please keep in mind that at the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

I just want to make sure you are still here, because there are options other than going to the police. I'll wait to see that you came back to this question and then I'll be happy to answer it for you.