Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

I started a retail business with a buddy of mine 2 years ago

Customer Question

I started a retail business with a buddy of mine 2 years ago but we didn't file the right paperwork to prove that we were a partnership. We each took 20% of the sales as pay and thre rest went to overhead and restocking, we were paid equally as 50-50 partners. We just recently opened our third and Now he is saying that I was just an employee and not 50% owner of the business even though he has told hundreds of customers that we were fifty-fifty partners . Alll the credit card processing is in his name but it was deposited into an account in my name and my name only. A week ago he put no trespassing signs on all three properties and change the credit card deposits to an account that I have no control over and quit paying me my 20% of the sales. We have three locations and my name is ***** ***** the lease of 1 so what I did was I went into that location when nobody was there because I had a key and my name on the lease and I took all the property because i believed half of all three shops was mine. So i took the Inventory Home so he wouldn't sell it. He lied to the police and got an employee to lie and say that they saw me go into the shop even though they did not. They said I was there a day after the actual day. he got a search warrant the cops came found some of the stuff in my house arrested me and went to jail and now I'm out on bond. We wrote up a partnership agreement when he lived with me and now I'm unable to find it but we have split all profits equally and have not yet filed a tax return. Is there any way for me to prove that I am a 50% owner of this business? I just don't know what to do I have no pay coming in and this business is now doing a total of 35 to $40,000 a month in sales. So I'm losing $6,000 a month and I don't know what to do?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 4 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. You're in a tough situation and at this moment what you need is evidence. Texts, emails, voicemails, bank statements showing deposits you made - basically anything you can point to showing you were partners. Otherwise, if his name is ***** ***** you're doing to have a tough time convincing the police - or a judge (in criminal OR civil court) that you were 50/50 partners. Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have additional questions or need me to clarify anything.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think the fact that all the debit cards and accounts used to purchase our products/inventory have my name on them and my name only. Almost all of the products were shipped to my house first and then dispersed to the three stores. His name only was on the merchant account. All the credit card deposits from purchases in the 3 stores was set by him to go into my account. I have a copy of the newest locations lease that has my name on it but what he did is went to the landlord and had the landlord just write up a new lease without my name on it. I don't know I've never used this service before I don't understand what's going on here what questions you're able to answer or not I don't even know if I'm using this right laugh out loud
I can answer just about any question ... As long as you pose an actual question. You can always reach me again by putting FOR OLIVIA in the first line of tour question and as long as I am online Just Answer will route it to me. It doesn't sound like you can accomplish anything without litigation and it would be helpful to have an attorney if you can afford one. And, yes, I do think that the fact that the debit cards and accounts were in your name is ***** ***** – and you should be able to provide that information to the police, as well as to an attorney if you choose to hire one.
Since you had indicated that you're not sure how this service works, once I've answered your question it's customary to submit a rating – otherwise I don't receive credit for working with you. But if you need me to clarify anything I would be happy to do so.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so.