CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

Thank you...since I received no notice about this at all

Customer Question

Thank you...since I received no notice about this at all until now does that give me some basis for asking them to dismiss the interest...don't they have to prove they tried to reach me? thank you again. Jude
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, no. The state (meaning any level of government) places the burden on the taxpayer to pay their tax obligation as it becomes due. This makes forces the taxpayer to pay penalties and interest even if the tax collecting entity does not identify a deficiency until very late in the statute of limitations.

(This issue is being brought to the attention of some lawmakers, and it may be addressed in the future, I understand this does not help you with your current situation, but it does highlight the fact that you are not alone in being faced with the unfairness of the situation).