P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I work friend who is an artist in the entertainment

Customer Question

I work for a friend who is an artist in the entertainment industry. The entire time I was never really paid and they would use my photographs to print shirts, cds etc without ever paying me until I would threaten to sue. I just received a voicemail from the management company that manages my friend threatening to make sure I never work in the industry again, basically she threatened me with slander and said I was no longer to work for my friend - they don't have that choice honestly since they work for my friend. I guess my question is do I have any choice to pursue something legal against them since she threatened my career when I have done nothing wrong?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You want to sue for what reason? For leaving a voicemail?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't want to sue anyone. I'm just curious if there's anything I can do to protect myself from a voicemail threatening slander.

Thank you
You could let them know IF the defame you (so if they make a false statement of fact about you that harms your reputation) that you will sue them.

They can call you and leave a message threatening to do this or that...but unless they actually lie about you to others, and the lie harms your reputation, you would not have a basis to sue for defamation (slander)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.