CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I went to small claims And the clerk said that i should see

Customer Question

I went to small claims And the clerk said that i should see if could get an Antony for a free consolation on how to submit the paper work.
Could you please help me my name is***** you
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.

Dear Customer,

While I do not know the details of your case, the clerk MAY have been trying to assist you by suggesting that your claim was more appropriate to be filed in general civil court where attorneys represent clients (cases have higher dollar amounts involved, the procedure is more complicated, and while not required, an attorney is highly recommended) as opposed to small claims court where litigants represent themselves (the procedure is simplified, and the dollar amounts are smaller).

If the clerk is suggesting that you seek out a law firm or attorney that is willing to offer you a free consultation, you are likely prosecuting a kind of case that at least some attorneys will prosecute on a "contingency basis" (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment).

You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).