Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son is in the 4th grade at a public school in and is

Customer Question

My son is in the 4th grade at a public school in Virginia and is running for a position on the student council. He used a picture of a Minion from Despicable Me for a poster that he made which said, "There are a Minion reasons to vote for ...". He was told to take it down because the material is copyrighted. He is now being told that his campaign speech cannot include copyright material in it either.
Shouldn't Fair Use be the rule here for copyrighted material since this is not for profit and within the education system?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is what happens when liberal educators try to play like they know what they are talking about. He is not using the image in commerce, it is not being used for any financial gain. It is permitted use under 1) satire, since he is using it to make a pun and 2) it is used only in an educational setting (See: http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Infographic_CanIUseThatPicture4.jpg).
His speech saying there is a minion reasons to vote would not be copyrighted material either. These liberal educators in school systems seek to regulate speech and control the minds of our children and is a big reason why our school system is failing.
You need to file a complaint with the school board that the school is improperly applying law and also stifling his first amendment right to free speech as well.