Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

When questioned and the officer said he has signed

Customer Question

When questioned and the officer said he has signed statements but no physical evidence , should you admit to anything?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

Only if you want to help convict yourself of whatever it is that you are being accused of.. Alleged signed statements (if they actually exist) are just pieces of paper signed by other people who are claiming that something occurred. But they are just that...allegations. I can line up 10 people to sign a document saying that I robbed a bank, but that doesn't make it so. However, if I admit it to the police, then I have made their job 99% easier because I am doing their job for them and proving the case against me.

.

So when questioned by the police, the first thing that a person should say is "I want to speak to an attorney". That ends any questioning and may keep them from convicting themselves.

.

.

thanks