Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Live in Texas. How to get a power of attorney 84 year old

Customer Question

Live in Texas. How to get a power of attorney for my 84 year old fiance?
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

Here are free ones you can use yourself.He would need to sign it in front of a notary.There is a general power of attorney that allows you to make financial decisions and medical one too for healthcare.I am assuming he has capacity here to sign the documents.

You can also file a POA in the county deed records if you want as it puts the public on notice of existence.

http://texasprobate.com/professional-forms/disability-planning-forms/

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

STATUTORY DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY

NOTICE: THE POWERS GRANTED BY THIS DOCUMENT ARE BROAD AND SWEEPING. THEY ARE EXPLAINED IN THE DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY ACT, SUBTITLE P, TITLE 2, ESTATES CODE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THESE POWERS,OBTAIN COMPETENT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE ANYONE TO MAKE MEDICAL AND OTHER HEALTH-CARE DECISIONS FOR YOU. YOU MAY REVOKE THIS POWER OF ATTORNEY IF YOU LATER WISH TO DO SO.

You should select someone you trust to serve as your agent(attorney in fact). Unless you specify otherwise, generally the agent's (attorney in fact's) authority will continue until:

(1) you die or revok ethe power of attorney;

(2) your agent(attorney in fact) resigns or is unable to act for you; or

(3) a guardian is appointedfor your estate.

I, __________ (insert your name and address), appoint__________ (insert the name and address of the person appointed) as my agent(attorney in fact) to act for me in any lawful way with respect to all of thefollowing powers that I have initialed below.

TO GRANT ALL OF THE FOLLOWING POWERS, INITIAL THE LINE IN FRONT OF (N) AND IGNORE THE LINES IN FRONT OF THE OTHER POWERS LISTED IN (A)THROUGH (M).

TO GRANT A POWER, YOU MUST INITIAL THE LINE IN FRONT OF THE POWER YOU ARE GRANTING.

TO WITHHOLD A POWER, DO NOT INITIAL THE LINE IN FRONT OF THE POWER. YOU MAY, BUT DO NOT NEED TO,CROSS OUT EACH POWER WITHHELD.

____ (A) Real property transactions;

____ (B) Tangible personal property transactions;

____ (C) Stock and bond transactions;

____ (D) Commodity and option transactions;

____ (E) Banking and other financial institution transactions;

____ (F) Business operating transactions;

____ (G) Insurance and annuity transactions;

____ (H) Estate, trust, and other beneficiary transactions;

____ (I) Claims and litigation;

____ (J) Personal and family maintenance;

____ (K) Benefits from social security,Medicare, Medicaid, or other governmental programs or civil or military service;

____ (L) Retirement plan transactions;

____ (M) Tax matters;

____ (N) ALL OF THE POWERS LISTED IN (A) THROUGH(M). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO INITIAL THE LINE IN FRONT OF ANY OTHER POWER IF YOU INITIAL LINE (N).

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:

Special instructions applicable to gifts (initial in front of the following sentence to have it apply):

____ I grant my agent (attorney in fact) the power to apply my property to make gifts outright to or for the benefit of a person,including by the exercise of a presently exercisable general power of appointment held by me, except that the amount of a gift to an individual may not exceed the amount of annual exclusions allowed from the federal gift tax for the calendar year of the gift.

ON THE FOLLOWING LINES YOU MAY GIVE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS LIMITING OR EXTENDING THE POWERS GRANTED TO YOUR AGENT.

_____________________________________________________________________________

UNLESS YOU DIRECT OTHERWISE ABOVE, THIS POWER OF ATTORNEY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND WILL CONTINUE UNTIL IT IS REVOKED.

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ALTERNATIVES BY CROSSING OUT THE ALTERNATIVE NOT CHOSEN:

(A) This power of attorney is not affected by my subsequent disability or incapacity.

(B) This power of attorney becomes effective upon my disability or incapacity.

YOU SHOULD CHOOSE ALTERNATIVE (A) IF THIS POWER OF ATTORNEY IS TO BECOME EFFECTIVE ON THE DATE IT IS EXECUTED.

IF NEITHER (A) NOR (B) IS CROSSED OUT, IT WILL BE ASSUMED THAT YOU CHOSE ALTERNATIVE (A).

If Alternative (B) is chosen and a definition of my disability or incapacity is not contained in this power of attorney, I shall be considered disabled or incapacitated for purposes of this power of attorney if a physician certifies in writing at a date later than the date this power of attorney is executed that, based on the physician's medical examination of me,I am mentally incapable of managing my financial affairs. I authorize the physician who examines me for this purpose to disclose my physical or mental condition to another person for purposes of this power of attorney. A third party who accepts this power of attorney is fully protected from anyaction taken under this power of attorney that is based on the determination made by a physician of my disability or incapacity.

I agree that any third party who receives a copy of this document may act under it. Revocation of the durable power of attorney is not effective as to a third party until the third party receives actual notice of the revocation. I agree to indemnify the third party for any claims that arise against the third party because of reliance on this power of attorney.

If any agent named by me dies, becomes legally disabled,resigns, or refuses to act, I name the following (each to act alone and successively, in the order named) as successor(s) to that agent: _________________________________________________________________________.

Signed this ______ day of __________, _____________

___________________________
(your signature)

State of _______________________

County of ______________________

This document was acknowledged before me on____________(date) by __________________ (name of principal).

______________________________
(signature of notarial officer)

(Seal, if any, of notary) ________________________________________

(printed name) ________________________________________

My commission expires: ______________

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreicated.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

.Happy Memorial weekend.