Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My car was repossessed yesterday. I was told because of no

Customer Question

My car was repossessed yesterday. I was told because of no insurance and missed a payment arrangement of 120. I have maintained full coverage on the vehicle since I had it. And I called the day of the arrangement to see if it could be pushed back and was told that was fine. I called to see when I could get the car back and was told they doubt I would even if the insurance sent in the abs documents and my payment is made when it's due which is tomorrow. I always felt this company was sketchy being that they would never provide me contract information so I always made my payments one time sometimes a month in advance. They said they left voicemails the only voicemail I ever received was about payment and I went into the office to inquire about it cause I should have had a credit and that's when I found out there was 120 left,even that day nothing was said about insurance. So what recourse do I have at getting my vehicle back? First I was told call today after 10 am then I was told pay the full loan after speaking with the repo manager. I don't understand how they could do that after having the car a year and making on time payments.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Only that I had arrangements to make 120 on the 13th and arrangements for 380 which is my monthly payment for friday. When I received paycheck the 13th and saw I couldn't make the 120 I called so Friday I'm to make a 500.00 payment.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, they cannot repossess your car unless you are in breach of the contract of loan. So if they have actually unlawfully repossessed contrary to the terms of your agreement, you have grounds to sue the company here for unlawful repossession and for any damages you have incurred from them improperly seizing your vehicle. If you have been on time with payments and you owed only a small amount and your insurance was up to date, then this is an illegal repossession and also an unfair and deceptive business practice and grounds to sue for actual damages, plus up to triple damages and attorney's fees for unfair and deceptive practices.
So I would suggest immediately getting a local consumer protection attorney and filing a legal action against them for the illegal repossession and seek the damages from them