LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My name is ***** ***** I received a DUI last week. This is

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I received a DUI last week. This is my first offense and I have never had any trouble with the law before. I have a date to appear in court 6/21. I called to get my arrest report but they said it hasn't been filed with DA and may take a few weeks to get. What happens if I do not get it prior to my court date? I do not know what my Blood alcohol level was due to taking the blood test. I am very worried due to the fact that a conviction would lead to the loss of my job. Is there something I can be doing to help my situation between now and my court date? I do not have money for an attorney but doubt I would qualify for low income free counsel. Any advice would be helpful, I am lost. Thank you!
Jenny
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Jenny,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your first court date is just the arraignment and at that hearing you will be told what the charge is against you and be allowed to enter a plea of not guilty or guilty. It is not necessary to know your BAC prior to that time----however in almost all instances you will kn0ow because the DA wouldn't file charges if the BAC is under the legal limit.

At the first court hearing---the arraignment, you will want to plead not guilty and tell the judge that you cannot afford an attorney and that you need to be appointed defense counsel and the judge will instruct you as to how to go about applying for that attorney.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug