LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My wife is a teacher and about 2 years ago, she was issued a

Customer Question

My wife is a teacher and about 2 years ago, she was issued a DUI for driving while taking prescription drugs. As a result, she lost her job. She accepted a job at another school district as a long-term sub with the understanding that upon job evaluation, she would be offered a full-time position. It seemed as though her principal was doing everything possible to prevent this from happening-from imposing a super-strict dress code just for her to asking her to improve her classroom discipline. She corrected all these and was offered a short-term contract. After this, she was, at first, not offered a continuing contract. Then, the principal told her that he would recommend that she receive a contract for the next school year. Now, they are making her re-interview for the job. We depend on the money over the summer to sustain us. What legal rights does she have?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. Who is she interviewing with? Do you know if there are other applicants?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is interviewing with the assistant principal, who is to take over as the head principal next year. I do not know if there are any other applicants, but the job has been posted online.
Thank you for the additional information. In a situation like this, the school does have a right to interview potential candidates to fill the position. If they posted it online, I am inclined to believe they are interviewing people, to determine who the best fit is, for the position. There is nothing wrong or illegal about the school doing this, especially if the assistant principle is taking over and wants to staff the position. Now, I understand what transpired with her in the past but unless she has something in writing, stating that as long as she did A, B or C that she was guaranteed the job, the discussion with the principal and the time, would not along be binding and force them to hire her. In addition, you shared that the principal said that he would recommend her but that does not mean she has the job. She does need to go through the hiring and interviewing process but as far as a legal right, she can not force the school to hire her.