AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

I am a partner in an LLC in the recording industry. My

Customer Question

I am a partner in an LLC in the recording industry. My partner (The Artist) locked me out of our joint account and began rerouting the money to his personal account. I have documentation and completed contracts, where the deposits and escrow were removed from our joint account. He has a friend who has benefited financially ($900 alone) in January who was our subcontractor. I am owed in excess of $10,000 and our account needs to be replenished to show escrow for finished contracts. Our Llc is out of compliance and our contracts as well. I am inclined to press a lien against The Artist (Partner) to begin actual discovery, but barring paying a $5000 retainer (the number quoted today by an attorney) what options do I have? Can I proceed with theft charges without counsel to get the discovery started? Thank you for any and all help. Melissa
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney and would like to assist you for informational purposes. You do not need an attorney to file a case in court. You will need to file a case for dissolution of the LLC. Hopefully, you have an operations agreement, which should spell out in detail how these things are to be handled. Only after you file a case in the courts, are you allowed to get discovery started. No, you do not need an attorney to file, but you will have to draft all of your paperwork yourself.