Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Apparently, I wrote a bad check to the California Dept of

Customer Question

Hi, Apparently, I wrote a bad check to the California Dept of Motor Vehicles back in 2000. Its now 2016 and they are sending my employer an "Earnings Withholding Order for Vehicle Registration Debt-DC". Can they legally collect this money 16 years after the check was written?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.
Hello​This Is Samuel. Unfortunately, the answer is yes. There are no statute of limitations on the collection of a debt when it is owed to a government entity.
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.
I suggest you can contact the collection agency and see if they will agree to take a lesser amount as after 16 years the amount paid on the bad check has probably accumulate interest.
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.
The collection agency should be the Central Collections agency for the county where the check bounced.