Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My dog was quarantined on sunday night released "by

Customer Question

my dog was quarantined on sunday night released "by accident" to me yesterday and they called me back today telling me if i don't bring him back they'll fine me $2000 a day
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: he told me i shouldn't have brought the dog back because the dog was provoked by the person who tried to break up the fight
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: someone told me dogs up-to-date on shots can potentially do home observation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ok
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Texas law uses the "one bite rule" meaning the owner needed to know the dog would bite based on it having bit before, if the party cannot prove that, then the person would have to prove you were negligent in supervising and controlling your dog.
So, if your dog was not known to bite and you were not negligent, then they could indeed do home monitoring for rabies. Your attorney was correct and actually, what you should consider is filing suit in court now to get the dog released and waive any boarding fees for this, since it was the fault of the animal control people ordering the dog back when it should not have done so.