Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a working professional who will be going out of the

Customer Question

I am a working professional who will be going out of the country on business and I need to get my script filled prior to leaving. Does the "grace period" for a schedule II prescription still exist and what is it, exactly?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No, I think that covers it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid that there is no real grace period for refills on controlled substance prescriptions as states have gotten very restrictive of these medications.
You can ask your pharmacist if they will refill you early, but most will tell you that the law forbids such an early referral. Even though it is against the law to refill prior to refill controlled substances some pharmacists will risk being reprimanded if this is a one time request and not a regular requests (state boards have reprimanded pharmacists for refilling 4-6 days before they were due for refills, so that is a risk the pharmacist takes in violating the rules in filling early).
If they will not refill early, the doctor cannot do anything about it, you would need to find a place in the country you are going that will fill your prescription.