Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm not sure that we have any legal case but I am in a

Customer Question

I'm not sure that we have any legal case but I am in a situation where a subcontractor is passive aggressively threatening me. I asked the company we contracted the work through to not have this company or person at my home without a representative from the general contractor b/c many of the employees of the sub have become hostile. We, the client, voiced our opinion that some work was not up to par, which the general contractor agreed, and the sub was asked to fix it. From that point on, it's been a hostile situation. Yesterday, however, was the worst. As I was playing with my 4 year old daughter outside the sub showed up to put a top coat on a concrete patio and the worker had a shirt on that said,"I hate your face!" I took a picture. I immediately picked up my daughter, gathered our toys, and hurried inside. It was pretty intimidating for a 120lb woman to basically be threatened by a 300lb+ man. Is there anything we can do to have piece of mind that this worker or sub will not escalate his actions? I contacted the general contractor and told them the situation but they didn't seem too interested since the owner of the sub is a good friend of his.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The work they did is wrong per our contract but we've been paying the general contractor as scheduled for everything. We have one more installment left but I'm not sure if we pay or do not pay.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, unless he has actually threatened you or has not done proper work, I am afraid that legally you would not have a claim against him. If he is doing the work he was being paid to do and doing it properly, the fact he chooses to wear a shirt that offends someone is not legally actionable I am afraid. What you are talking about here is a personality conflict between you and this party, but legally as long as they did the job they were being paid to do and did it correctly, you would not have a legal claim against them..