Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My husband and I are truck drivers. We drive together as a

Customer Question

My husband and I are truck drivers. We drive together as a team and spend the whole week living and working in our assigned company truck. Can the company we work for video and audio record us at work. Again we live in the truck. Eat,sleep, change clothes, sponge bath and sometimes if no where to stop must use a portable potty on the truck. Sounds pretty glamorous don't it! Lol!
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we gave not
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Can't think of anything. Just wondering if there a reasonable expectation of privacy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, the employer cannot video you in any area where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, such as in the sleeper area of the truck cab. As far as the main cab, it is not illegal for them to give notice to employees that there will be video/audio and it is not illegal for them to record in that main cab. However, in the sleeper part of the truck, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, just like a restroom or locker room if the employer had a building, and they could not record in there.