Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

Can a company send out emails using your company email

Customer Question

Can a company send out emails using your company email address without your consent?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. In theory the company owns the rights to all of the email addresses so they could do so, though you would be able to argue that any consequences of such actions should not be attributable to you since you weren't the sender. I hope that makes sense please let me know if you have any questions or need me to clarify.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What if they had stopped your access to the email address and you had no way of knowing what they're sending?
Not great, but not illegal.
I just want to clarify… So you are, for example, Bill Smith and they are using***@******.*** as an email address that they are sending emails from? What would your email address with the company then be if you then don't have access to that particular email address? I would assume it would then have to be something different because if Bill Smith has access to his email he would presumably know what emails were being sent from his account, if only from the bounce backs. If they terminated someone and then continue to send emails from their accounts that person wouldn't likely have any liability for anything sent from that account, though it makes me wonder why they would want to continue sending from that account. Perhaps consistency for customers?