Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Michigan law: question: Does the successor personal

Customer Question

Michigan law: question: Does the successor personal representative have to be served a copy of the petition for probate and notice of hearing if both co personal representatives are willing to serve?
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Yes, they are an "interested party" in the case and would need to be served so that they would have the opportunity to appear and contest any appointment if they wanted to do so. It is theoretically possible that they might want to object and claim that the petitioner shouldn't be appointed for some reason so they have to be notified about the petition so that their rights to object are cut off if they don't do so...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, can I email the co personal representative a copy of the petition?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The cut off day for service is today and I live out of town.
Technically it should be a formal service.... But realistically,. if the person doesn't object, then it wouldn't matter from a legal perspective because the underlying goal is to give them notice... and the email would give them actual notice of the action, if not formal procedural legal service..So I think you would be fine with the email notice as they likely wouldn't know that they should be sent certified mail notice....thanksBarrister