CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was unable to pay credit card debt of $8,000. I was

Customer Question

I was unable to pay credit card debt of $8,000. I was notified that they have gone to one of my bank accounts and froze the account (which resulted in my mortgage payment not being paid). I am a single mom of a 6-yr old girl. I work 40+hours a week making only $10 an hour, no benefits. I do not have $8000 to pay them. The notice I received from the circuit court says there may be certain exemption rights that may be available to me which would relieve me of my obligation. I live in West Virginia. I can't afford to consult an attorney to find out what these exemption rights may be. Can you help me at all?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation.Here is the relevant WV Civil Code section (it gives you the exemptions as well as the procedure - this is time sensitive, so you must file your notice promptly): http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/code.cfm?chap=38&art=8Here is a form that you can use (please ensure that you read the form carefully and match the form to the statute - while court forms such as this are useful, it is always critical to cross-reference them to the actual statute): http://www.courtswv.gov/lower-courts/magistrate-forms/e-3-affidavit_for_exemptions_(sca-m665)_(2-05).pdf