Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Me and my husband in texas are getting a divorce do to his

Customer Question

Me and my husband in texas are getting a divorce do to his infidelity and i would likever to know if i bought the car the title, registration, and insurance are in my name he doesn't even have insurance on it for himself can i legal take the car
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If the car title is in your name, then legally it is your car and you can retake possession of it as long as you can do so without breaching the peace. It may come down later on in any divorce that it is community property, but that is later on down the road...thanksBarrister
for right now, yes, you can take the vehicle back if you wanted to and prevent him from using it. I would suggest storing it somewhere so he can't find it or having the door locks re-keyed if you are going to use it yourself so he can't use any spare keys to take it back if he finds it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you just making sure
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. Just make sure that if you to retake possession of the car, do it quietly so as not to make a big commotion so he doesn't call the police. It would be best if you can use a spare key and just have someone drop you off where it is and just take it and leave...thanksBarrister