Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son's father who has been in and out of his life since he

Customer Question

My son's father who has been in and out of his life since he was 2 & 1/2 until just recently & lived way out of town until three years ago & even when he came back around wants to use his to use his social security number to lower his lease amount. I've always supported my son and his dad is over 38,000 in back child support & hasn't bothered & filling his income tax to avoid paying it. What are my options and can he do that
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He has no right to use his son's SSN absent a court order allowing him to do so. You do not have to allow him to do so and if he tries to do so, then you can report him to the police for fraud. Furthermore, you need to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt for non-payment of support and ask for a criminal non-payment case to be opened by the Office of Child Support Enforcement.
I would also suggest you notify the IRS about him not filing taxes and they will investigate that as well and pursue him.
No he cannot use your son's SSN and doing so would be fraud and you can report it to the housing authority and police.