Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My ex-husband passed away a few cays a go. He received

Customer Question

My ex-husband passed away a few cays a go. He received disability benefits from the Veterans Administration because of jungle rot from Vietnam and Panama 1967 and further. Continue got worst and he received benefits. He had an unhonorable discharge from the military. Not dishonorable. We were married from Nov. 1989 to April 1, 2000. Am I entitled to any benefits now that he is deceased? Number 2. He negotiated for the entitlement of my Thrift Savings Plan with the federal government, which reduced the amount I received. Number 3. He was receiving approximately $200 a month of my social security. Now that he is deceased, will that $200 come back to me? If the Veterans Administration disperse insurance money, do I get a portion or is that just for his children, both of which are adults. He was a Vietnam War Veteran and he had social security, am I entitled to anything? I don't have a social security number for him; how do I acquire his ssn?
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Let's go through these

He had an unhonorable discharge from the military. Not dishonorable. We were married from Nov. 1989 to April 1, 2000. Am I entitled to any benefits now that he is deceased?

Yes you should contact the VA here and see what all they can offer you here.Divorced spouses have rights to VA benefits.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/181033-the-benefits-for-the-wife-of-a-veteran-if-divorced/

Number 2. He negotiated for the entitlement of my Thrift Savings Plan with the federal government, which reduced the amount I received.

That may go up if he was getting part of your check here, again you have to check with the plan and have it paid to you now.

Number 3. He was receiving approximately $200 a month of my social security. Now that he is deceased, will that $200 come back to me?

Yes it should , if social security was redirecting this then you need to contact them so that you get it all. If you were married for 10 years or more you also may get spousal benefits if his amount was more than you are getting off your wages.

If the Veterans Administration disperse insurance money, do I get a portion or is that just for his children, both of which are adults

Life insurance is payable to his named beneficiaries, if he named you then you would get some or all of it.Check with VA on that too.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

VA contact numbers

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/contact

Social Security

You can call us toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day. If you cannot handle your business through our automated services, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-***-***-****, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please give social security and VA a call.You are likely due more benefits and this will help you in your retirement years.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.