Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I had a home equity line of credit a few years ago with Bank

Customer Question

I had a home equity line of credit a few years ago with Bank America which I paid off in full. I never closed it out last week I ask them to reinstate it they asked me to provide them with 2 months of bank statements,copy of taxes paid, and a copy of gas and light bills. I provided all that they asked for. I received a letter from them on Friday they told me they are unable to give the home equity line of credit because I do not own the house.
I am furious how can they pass judgement on me or just assume I don't own the house I want to sue them for slander do I have a chance or, what can I do I am very, very upset, Please give me your best advise. Thank You so very much. Palmira John Brooklyn NY
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
Good morning Palmira John: I doubt that the bank "just assumed" that you don't own the house. The bank must have run a title search and found something in the record that indicated someone else is now in title. You need to know exactly what they found. If they will not share their information with you, then you should immediately go to a title insurance agency and order your own title update. That will tell you what you need to know. You probably already have a title insurance policy from when you bought the home, and/or title searches from when you took out the your HELOC. You should go back to the same agency that issued those title policies or searches. Once you have that information, you will know whether or not you have grounds to sue the bank, or if you need to hire an attorney to correct something that occurred with regard to your title that you have been unaware of until now. Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.